I was pleased to read that “Overall, the field of online learning is seeing an increase in diversity and variability of learners in K-12 online learning spaces.” (Basham, 2018), this means we are heading in the right direction! I look forward to learning ways to make online learning accessible for all learners and how to support different learner’s needs in order for them to be successful in their online learning.

This is not a topic I have learned about in any previous course but it is one I believe is very important to learn. I am aware of UDL and have included UDL checkpoints in lesson plans that I have made. I think UDL is very important to consider in lesson plans in order to give all students an opportunity to be successful in their learning.

I found Basham’s article interesting how they showed pictures of the brain. Psychology is important for teachers to understand in order to predict how the learner thinks and to adapt lessons so that all students’ needs are being met. I would love to take more child psychology courses throughout my next years at UVic.

I really enjoyed Selwyn’s article about online learning during covid-19. I have been wondering myself how teachers are handling this change to online learning. I do agree that there would be a lot more planning going into teaching via zoom rather than in class. I have also witnessed my sister (age 12) trying to learn through zoom and I agree with Selwyn when he mentions that students cannot take on as many tasks without feeling burnt out. This may have to do with the many changes and unknowns during this pandemic and less to do with online learning. I am very interested in this topic and would consider looking into this adjustment more if I rewrite this post.

What I got from the Kral and Schwab’s article was that online learning needs to be made accessible for Aboriginals. A way to make it more accessible would be funding to provide students with the necessary technology to be able to learn online. Another way they mention is for public libraries to allow the less fortunate and/or Indigenous people to use their technology for learning purposes.

Sources:

Basham, J.D., Blackorby, J., Stahl, S. & Zhang, L. (2018) Universal Design for Learning Because Students are (the) Variable. In R. Ferdig & K. Kennedy (Eds.), Handbook of research on K-12 online and blended learning (pp. 477-507). Pittsburgh, PA: Carnegie Mellon University ETC Press.

Selwyn. N. (2020). Online learning: Rethinking teachers’ ‘digital competence’ in light of COVID-19. [Weblog]. Retrieved from: https://lens.monash.edu/@education/2020/04/30/1380 217/online-learning-rethinking-teachers-digital-compet ence-in-light-of-covid-19

Kral, I. & Schwab, R.G. (2012). Chapter 4: Design Principles for Indigenous Learning Spaces. Safe Learning Spaces. Youth, Literacy and New Media in Remote Indigenous Australia. ANU Press .​http://doi.org/10.22459/LS.08.2012​ Retrieved from: https://press.anu.edu.au/publications/learning-spaces %EF%BB%BF